Monday, February 22, 2010

The Sick Truth

It's become an annual event. Without fail, between January & February, I come down with stomach flu. We're talking nasty flu. Not getting out of bed unless it's to go back to the bathroom - kind of sick. I dread this, not because it's just gross, but also because I know that I have to completely check out. Though my husband is fully capable, I'm a control freak when it comes to the day-to-day operations. How will they survive without me?

Sometime around 2am Sunday morning it hit. Agonizing cramps, nausea, general yuck. Up, down, up, down, all night. All morning. All day. Hours would slip by as I dozed in and out of deep sleep & trips to the bathroom. Just as I began to turn into a raisin, Ben & Charlie came to the rescue with a tray of relief... tea, water, & most importantly, Imodium. Charlie was joyfully singing "Happy Birthday," thinking this must be a special day... mommy is still in bed! Special indeed. The tea & enthusiasm soothed me a bit, so I went back to sleep.

Later that afternoon I surfaced to the world that had continued on without me. Elaborate forts had been made in every corner of the family room, play-mobile bits everywhere, and the remnants of serious crafting were strewn across tabletops. Food had obviously been prepared & eaten... the kitchen was beyond a mess. But there was a calm about the house. Everyone was busy with various activities, and quietly content. I still felt like crap, pardon the pun, but was happily reminded that the ship doesn't have to go down just because the captain has a case of the crud's. Normally I'd blow a gasket at the chaos. Not this time. I was grateful that life had gone on without me. That my children were well, and my husband was relaxed. It was refreshing as well to play the sick card, and watch them clean up with unusual enthusiasm.

It's Monday morning, and I'm on the mend. Even managed to eat a bowl of oatmeal. Though I wouldn't wish this plague on anyone, I have to admit that there are some bonus' to 24 hour stomach flu... I lost 3 lbs. in one day and am jump-started to losing my Winter "coat." Better still... I know my family can survive just fine without me for at least one day. I find that strangely comforting.

2 comments:

  1. AWWWW, Coobie - I didn't know you were feeling puny! I hope you have a mug of tea in your hand and remember to take it easy one more day.

    I know we are sisters and all, but I have never had a problem letting it all go while I'm sick. Everyone makes it through. The worst was the time I got a flu over Christmas. I had my only ever migraine and slept for two days straight. The kids didn't really notice I was gone. They were too busy eating pancakes for dinner and playing with the new toys...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are feeling better my sweet love. Bless your heart girl.

    ReplyDelete